Healthy Chocolate Lamingtons - from 28 By Sam Wood
Sam Wood is a father and husband, on a mission to help people move more, eat better and make a positive change. Sam Wood has over 18 years experience in the health and fitness industry, and is recognised as one of Australia’s leading experts and media commentators. He is also the founder and trainer at Australia’s number one online fitness and nutrition program, 28 By Sam Wood.
Sam has shared with us this delicious healthy version of Chocolate Lamingtons!
HERE IT IS!!
We're not mucking about when we say these gluten-free lamingtons are better than the originals. We've decided to overhaul the traditional lamington and use whole food ingredients covered in a DIY chocolate. These are a little fiddly, but we promise getting your fingers dirty has never been more worth it!
- 1 cup coconut flour.
- 1 teaspoon baking powder.
- 12 eggs.
- 1/2 cup rice malt syrup.
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract.
- 2/3 cups coconut oil, melted.
- 1 cup Raspberry Chia Jam (see notes).
- 2 cups shredded or desiccated coconut.
Basic Raw Chocolate
- 1/2 cup raw cacao butter.
- 1/2 cup coconut oil.
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder.
- 1. Preheat oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4 and lightly grease and line a 20cm square lamington tray with butter or coconut oil.
2. In a large bowl, add in eggs, vanilla extract and rice malt syrup and beat with an electric mixer. Add in the coconut oil and beat briefly until combined. Add in coconut flour and baking powder and stir through with a wooden spoon.
3. Scoop sponge mixture into the prepared lamington tray and smooth over the back of a spoon. Place into the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Then slice the sponge in 20 squares about 3cm x 3cm each. Slice each square in half so you can fill with jam.
4. To make chocolate coating, place all ingredients into a saucepan on low heat. Stir until all ingredients are combined. Pour into a large shallow bowl.
5. Place shredded coconut onto a plate.
6. Spread 1 teaspoon of Raspberry Chia Jam into the middle of each sponge.
7. Take one jam-filled sponge and dip into the Basic Raw Chocolate. Turn until the sponge is covered in chocolate and pick up, allowing some of the chocolate to drain off. Then place into the coconut and cover all sides.
8. Place lamington onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely, about 30 minutes (you can place rack into the fridge if you have room to speed up the process). Serve.
Words by Meg Yonson for 28 By Sam Wood